Managing Translation Workflows
Different types of content require different translation workflows and translation quality. By default, projects in Transifex follow a two-step workflow: translate and review. You can modify this in order to create a workflow best for your project's needs.
To manage and configure a project's workflow:
From the Dashboard, select the project you want to edit the workflow for, then click on Settings.
Navigate to the Workflow tab. Here, you'll see workflow options grouped by stages of the localization process. Note that the options available to you will vary depending on the plan you're on.
Set up any pre-translation work on your project's content. Pre-translation tasks automatically run when you upload new resources or update existing ones. The two options available are Translation Memory(TM) Fill-up and Machine Translation(MT) Fill-up (available on Pro and up). In case you enable both, TM will run before MT.
Select a method for translating your content. You can choose from simple translation, where translators input translations directly. Or community translation, where users from your community can suggest and vote for the best translations (available on Enterprise).
Set up your review workflow and choose whether each string should be reviewed once or twice, depending on your translation quality requirements. (The second review, called Proofread, is available on the Pro plan.)
When you're done setting up your workflow, press the Save changes button.
We generally recommend enabling the Translation Memory fill-up option in your workflow. This way, any 100% TM matches will be used as translations automatically, saving you on translation time and costs while ensuring better translation consistency.
In this section, you will find all the details about the functionality and settings you can manage from the workflow page.
The specific page is the place to define how your content will move during the localization. The page layout is helping you understand which localization step comes first or before another. Explaining a bit more all the steps you can see:
- Upload content, it's the step where you introduce the content you want localized to the platform. You can do that by uploading your content for translation.
- Pre-translation, follows right after your content is uploaded and it automatically check and fills up newly added content with translations. The source of these translations can be from your Translation Memory (previous translations) or from an automated translation using Machine Translation.
- Translation, is the step that the content gets translated by your collaborators. In this step you can manage how your collaborators will interact with the content you want to translate.
- Review, is referring to translated content and is the step where your collaborators - or you - check the translations and mark them as "reviewed". This essentially means that the content passes the review step and is ready to be used.
- Ready for use, is considered the content that has finished the localization process and can be consumed by your application or project.
Any options included in this step are performed automatically when you content is updated. Content updating happens either by adding new content or by updating any existing content. Read more about Updating Content.
During this step, all untranslated content is checked against the enabled options for a matching translation. There are two possible options for pre-translation Translation Memory Fill-up and Machine Translation Fill-up.
In case both pre-translation options are enabled they are executed sequentially, with Translation Memory Fill-up running first and after checking all new content, the Machine Translation Fill-up runs second on any remaining untranslated content.
Triggering Autofill Tasks
Autofill tasks will run whenever one of the following events occurs:
- new translation is added (by any method - through API, TX client, or manual file upload)
- new tmx file is uploaded
- source file is updated
- the auto-fill setting is disabled and re-enabled
TM Autofill won't run automatically in these two situations:
- When you add new languages to your project
- When you enable Fill up resources from TM before uploading or updating a file
In this step you control the way your content gets translated by your collaborators. Enterprise plan supports community translations as an alternative, check it out in Crowdsourcing Translations.
Containing two possible options for reviewing, "review" which is active by default and "proofread" which is available for plans Pro and Enterprise.
When disabling the Proofread step, strings in that state are changing to Reviewed. In case you want to re-enable the Proofread step Transifex internally stores that strings so that you can restore them in the Proofread state.
This is the final state of a string and it signifies that localization is complete. You can use this state to connect the remaining of your workflow to Transifex. Here are some possible options: