Translating and Reviewing in Context
One of the main benefits of using Transifex Live is that it lets you translate your website in context and get an immediate preview of how the translations will look on your site. After you’ve approved a string, you can begin translating it. And like our file-based approach, you can choose to work with your translation agency, crowdsource translations with your community, or order translations from one of our vendor partners.
To translate a string:
From target language dropdown near the top of the sidebar, choose or search for the language you want to work on. After picking a language, you'll see your site in the selected language, and any existing translations will be shown.
Click on a string on your site that’s highlighted in green (these are the strings that have been saved to Transifex for translation). The Translate panel will open up with the selected string appearing at the top.
Type your translation into the translation box, then hit Save.
After translating that string, you can go to the next string in one of several ways:
- Hit the Next string icon (it looks like a down arrow) in the translate panel above the source string.
- Click on another string on the page that’s highlighted in green.
- Click back to list to return to the full list of approved strings.
If you don’t have translators, you can use the Order translations button at the bottom of the Translate tab for ordering translations from one of our translation partners.
Shortcuts in the Translate panel
At the top of the translation box, you’ll find a few shortcuts that might come in handy as you work:
- Copy source string – Copy the source string into the translation box (you'll still need to hit Save). This is useful if you're translating between two similar languages, such as English (United States) and English (United Kingdom).
- Revert translation – Replace the current translation with the last saved translation.
- Clear translation – Delete the existing translation.
Using Transifex’s other translation tools
Transifex provides translators a number of translation tools, such as Translation Memory and Glossary. To use these, click on the Transifex editor link at the bottom of the Translate panel. This will open up the translation editor where you can access all of the available translation tools.
The Translation settings tab in the Translate panel lets you turn on Translation memory autofill and enable automatic machine translation of your content.
- Translation Memory. Enable this option to reuse previously saved translations that are 100% matches in the Translation Memory (TM).
- Machine Translation. Enable this option to automatically machine translate your website's content with your own Google Translate or Bing Translator API key.
If you enable both options, Transifex will first fill in translations with 100% TM matches, then use machine translation to translate the rest of your content.
Changes to your translation settings will only be applied to strings approved after you saved any the setting changes.
Reviewing translations in context using Transifex Live works similarly to translating:
From target language dropdown, pick the language you want to work on.
Click on a translated string. The Translate panel will open up with the selected string.
If the translation looks good, click Review to mark the translation as reviewed.
A translator cannot edit a translation once it’s been reviewed.
You can also use the Editor to batch review strings.